July 31, 2019

New Shikomi in Hanafusa okiya - Amaya san!

Shikomi Amaya
 ╔═══.❀.══════.❀.══════.❀.═══╗
          Watashi no namae wa Amaya desu
           I am Shikomi of Hanafusa okiya
 ╚═══.❀.══════.❀.══════.❀.═══╝

I was born in Kyoto, to the Okami of a small but local ochaya in the Miyagawacho Hanamachi. My mother was never a geiko, just the daughter of the previous okami san my obaasan. I can remember every since I was little seeing geiko and maiko san fluttering in and out of the ochaya. 

At 6 years old my mother caught me peeking through a small opening in the fusuma doors watching intently as the geiko played her shamisen and the maiko danced to Gion Kouta. In that moment my mother realized I was interested in this life.

It was no shock to her, when at 15 I graduated from Kyoto Shimogyō Junior High School and told her I wished to be a geiko, one of those elegant women I had admired for so long. In the morning on a humid July day, my mother led me to Hanafusa Okiya where I would be accepted as a shikomi and begin my studies

No comments:

Post a Comment